Licensed Animal Technician
Salary: From £20,411, depending on experience
Ref: ALS 2083
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit a Licensed Animal Technician to work within their rodent Biological Services Units. The successful candidate will be an essential member of the team, supporting the day-to-day husbandry of animals and the operational needs of a multitude of research projects.
- Hold a Home Office Personal License
- National Qualification (NVQ level 4, BTEC Professional award, Certificate and diploma level 4, HNC), in a relevant science, technical, or research subject
- Excellent knowledge and experience of rodent husbandry and breeding
- Recent experience in a Biological Services Unit
- Experience of working with students
- Experience of managing transgenic mice is desirable
- Competent IT skills
- Knowledge of the Animal Scientific Procedures Act and associated Home Office legislation
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Husbandry and animal care of rodents in Biological Service Units, ensuring the highest levels of animal welfare at all times
- Actively use Personal License, including breeding of transgenic mice and a wide range of procedures
- Accurate record keeping, such as animal and laboratory records both on paper and database systems, and participate in internal audit process to check adherence to record-keeping systems
- Maintenance of breeding colonies and record keeping of rodent breeding programmes
- Be involved in surgery support and post-operative care of rodents
- Adhere with H&S regulations and assist in H&S management under direction of the Lab Manager
- Provide daily assistance to BSU users, including training, demonstrating, or instruction within the environment to staff and students
- Proactive personal and professional development including completion of mandatory training, skills courses and specialist training
- Be involved with training and competency records of Personal License holders in the facility.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.