Licensed Animal Technician
Salary: £19,600 - £31,900
Ref: ALS 2022
On behalf of our client, a world class leading research institute, we are looking to recruit a Licensed Animal Technician to work within their Molecular Oncology Department. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining the day-to-day animal husbandry within the animal facility, to carry out experimental procedures and technical support to project license holders.
The closing date for this position is Monday 28th August.
- Home Office Personal License is essential
- HNC in Animal Technology or equivalent or a Biological Sciences degree
- Thorough understanding of the Animal (Scientific procedures) Act 1986, the biology of laboratory mice and transgenic breeding programmes
- Significant previous experience of working within the field of laboratory animal technology
- Competency in a range of both non-surgical and surgical skills on mice
- Knowledge of oncology laboratory animal models
- Proven ability to carry out routine tasks and procedures under minimum supervision
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
Duties & Responsibilities
- Carry out general care of the laboratory animals as instructed by the Group Leader or their nominated person
- Maintain breeding colonies of transgenic animals
- Work efficiently, cost-effectively and in a flexible manner, in accordance with the Animal (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986, to fulfil the needs of the project
- Make observations, keep accurate records and input data into computer programmes as instructed
- Carry out surgical, non-surgical and experimental procedures as required
- Train staff members in licensed and non-licensed techniques as required
- Keep up-to-date with developments in animal technology and develop novel procedures under close supervision of the Group Leader as required
- Discuss experimental protocols and results with project supervisors, collect data in accordance with these discussions and assist with the initial analysis
- Comply with health and safety requirements, licenses, protocol’s and institute policies
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as required at the direction of the Group Leader.
Please note that applicants for this post are required to accompany their CV with a covering letter.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.