LOCATION: Yorkshire SALARY: £21,135 REF: ALS 2537Apply Here
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit an Animal Technician to undertake husbandry responsibilities in an animal research unit, providing high standards of care and welfare to laboratory animals. The post-holder will assist in the overall operation of the animal facility and work with several species including wild type and transgenic mouse colonies, rodents, and xenopus.
- Five GCSE’s including Maths and a science subject, or equivalent scientific experience.
- A genuine interest in the care of animals and previous experience in animal husbandry is essential.
- Experience in a laboratory animal unit is desirable.
- Attention to detail and ability to keep accurate records.
- Ability to adapt, be flexible, and work accurately under pressure.
- Committed to further training and qualifications in the field of animal technology.
- Willingness to undertake weekend and bank holiday working as part of a rota basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Day to day care of transgenic and wild type rodents held in IVCs including general husbandry always ensuring the welfare of animals.
- Under supervision of senior staff members, assist in maintaining breeding colonies including accurately recording all breeding data.
- Cage & tank washing plus tank sterilisation, bottle washing and preparation to a high standard, requiring the use of purpose-built machines.
- Monitoring and recording animal room temperatures.
- General housekeeping duties within the facility including cleaning equipment, prep rooms and floors in accordance with SOPS and Risk Assessments.
- Responsible for ensuring all animal welfare concerns brought to the attention of the facility NACWO.
- Assisting staff with genotyping and experimental procedures when required.
- Participate in weekend/bank holiday rota to perform animal husbandry duties unsupervised.
Due to the biosecurity restrictions, unfortunately our client cannot employ anyone that owns or comes into regular contact with rabbits, mice, rats, guinea pigs or ferrets.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.