Location: Hull Salary: £15,000 – £17,000 Ref: ALS 2290Apply Here
Our client, an established breeding facility, are looking to recruit an Animal Technician to work within their team and contribute towards the care and welfare of a variety of animals. The successful candidate will receive further training and have the opportunity to develop and learn within their multi-species animal breeding facility in East Yorkshire.
This is a Fixed Term Contract for 12 months.
Full driving licence and own transport are essential due to rural location.
- Previous experience of working with (and handling) animals large and small
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including English, Maths and Science
- A passion for caring and working with animals
- Experienced in routine manual work that requires attention to detail
- Interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated, flexible approach to work and to participate in weekend/cover rota
- Home Office Personal Licence is desirable.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily animal husbandry duties, including feeding, watering, cage cleaning and animal observations
- Implement basic animal breeding systems and an understanding of the importance of replacement breeding stock selection criteria
- Completion of all relevant departmental records, including day books, production data reports and stock availability records
- The breeding, weaning, sexing, counting and weighing of animals
- Show flexibility and willingness to work in any animal area with any laboratory animal species
- Notify Area Supervisor regarding any suspected or recorded problems in relation to animal welfare or facility environment
- Cleaning and maintaining animal rooms and associated areas and reporting of the animal facility environment
- Receiving and despatching of goods in/out of animal facility, using correct sterilisation procedures to maintain ‘animal barrier status
- An understanding of the Animals Scientific Procedures Act 1986 and Home Office guidelines relating to the production and use of animals in a breeding and supplying establishment or research environment.
- Provide weekend and out of hours cover as and when required, to include overnight foul weather cover if necessary
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.