Location: Berkshire Salary: Excellent salary and benefits commensurate with experience Ref: ALS 2315Apply Here
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit a Bioinformatician with good experience in programming and knowledge integration, to join the Early Stage Research Team within Product Safety, providing technical leadership in bioinformatics, helping to develop and deploy tools which help to predict the impact of new chemicals on the environment and human health.
- Expertise in at least one of the following
- Programming languages (e.g. Python, Java, R)
- Workflow systems (e.g. KNIME and PipelinePilot)
- Relational database querying (SQL, SPARQL)
- Web APIs
- Knowledge of databases such as UniProtKB, Ensembl, CheEMBL, IPA, KEGG etc.
- Demonstrable ability to lead projects or tasks within projects and deliver technical leadership
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to quickly develop key relationships and to communicate within and across multidisciplinary teams
- The ability to quickly learn and apply new skills.
- Qualified to degree level in bioinformatics, biochemistry, biology, genetics, microbiology or computer science, with post-graduate experience or qualifications in the application of Bioinformatics
- The ability to work in the UK without the need for visa sponsorship
Duties and Responsibilities
- Integrate biological, chemical and environmental knowledge/data from internal databases and external sources (e.g. ChEMBL, OpenTargets, Ensembl) for chemical-target safety reviews
- Develop approaches to determine molecular mechanisms underlying toxicological endpoints (Adverse Outcome Pathway)
- Deliver solutions which utilise technologies, for example microbiomics to aid the prediction of environmental fate of chemicals and soil health
- Seek out latest tools, databases and workflows and assess their potential use to support early stage research
- Liaise with toxicology, ecotoxicology, environmental fate and modelling scientists to understand requirements and define bioinformatics solutions
- Work with contract organisations and/or academic collaborators to define and develop solutions/tools/workflows to support scientists
- Support the company’s scientific credibility within the wider scientific and regulatory communities
- Network within the company and the external bioinformatics community to ensure best use of resources and opportunities
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.