Animal Surgery Technician
Salary: £26,000 - £29,000, depending on experience
Ref: ALS 2114
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit an Animal Surgery Technician to work with large farm animals such as sheep, pigs and rabbits, and carry out a range of technical and routine duties. The successful candidate will facilitate procedures to include preparation of surgery, advise during surgical procedures, and post-operative supervision.
This is a fixed-term position for maternity cover.
- Hold a Home Office Licence modules 1-4
- Life science degree/other relevant qualification or relevant experience working in a laboratory
- Experience working with large farm animals, such as cows, sheep or pigs
- Must be able to work unsupervised from early on
- Experience with surgical techniques.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain the theatre suite appropriately for surgical researchers, including setting up anaesthetic monitoring and scanning equipment, preparing drugs for administration, and preparing instruments
- Preparing and pre-medication of animals before transportation to the theatre suite
- Anaesthetising animals by injection and inhalational techniques and supervision of anaesthesia during operative procedures
- Giving surgical assistance where required
- Supervising post-operative recovery period and carrying out post-operative follow up treatments
- Liaison with veterinary surgeons on animal welfare issues and during regulatory visits
- Liaison with Home Office Inspector during their visits as necessary
- Assisting, participating and observing during workshops
- Ensuring that the theatre suite is kept stocked to also include carrying out stock checks and requisitioning stock as necessary
- Carrying out drug stock checks and ordering from pharmacy as necessary
- Arranging for the replacement of empty gas cylinders with full ones
- The post holder will be expected to carry out certain duties at weekends these may include routine animal husbandry as well as post-operative follow up treatments.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.