Animal Surgery Technician
Salary: £26,000 - £29,000, depending on experience
Ref: ALS 2114
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit an Animal Surgery Technician to work with large farm animals and carry out a range of technical and routine duties. The successful candidate will facilitate procedures to include preparation of surgery, advise during surgical procedures, and post-operative supervision.
This is a fixed-term position for maternity cover.
- Hold a Home Office Licence modules 1-4
- Life science degree/other relevant qualification or relevant experience working in a laboratory
- Experience working with large farm animals
- Experience with histology work is essential
- Must be able to work unsupervised from early on
- Experience with surgical techniques.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain the theatre suite appropriately for surgical researchers, including setting up anaesthetic monitoring and scanning equipment, preparing drugs for administration, and preparing instruments
- Preparing and pre-medication of animals before transportation to the theatre suite
- Anaesthetising animals by injection and inhalational techniques and supervision of anaesthesia during operative procedures
- Giving surgical assistance where required
- Supervising post-operative recovery period and carrying out post-operative follow up treatments
- Liaison with veterinary surgeons on animal welfare issues and during regulatory visits
- Liaison with Home Office Inspector during their visits as necessary
- Assisting, participating and observing during workshops
- Ensuring that the theatre suite is kept stocked to also include carrying out stock checks and requisitioning stock as necessary
- Carrying out drug stock checks and ordering from pharmacy as necessary
- Arranging for the replacement of empty gas cylinders with full ones
- The post holder will be expected to carry out certain duties at weekends these may include routine animal husbandry as well as post-operative follow up treatments.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.