Salary: £22,280 - £23,413
Ref: ALS 2150
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit an Animal Technician to provide specialist technical and procedural expertise for the microbiology department within their multi-species facility. The successful candidate will be required to breed and maintain laboratory animals to assist and support scientists for in vivo studies with regards to understanding infectious diseases.
Temp to Perm Contract
- BSc or an animal related qualification
- Home Office Personal Licence is desirable but not essential
- IAT membership, including HND in Animal Technology
- Experience working with a wide range of laboratory animals i.e. rodents, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs and NHP
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the team performing routine animal husbandry, to maintain the highest standards of care and welfare
- Recognise, report, and record ill health of the animals
- Conduct experimental procedures under the Home Office Licence, and assist and support scientists for in vivo study work after relevant training
- Work with a variety of bespoke caging systems used to house different species under containment and non-containment conditions
- To breed and maintain high quality experimental animals and maintain and regularly update computer data-bases containing breeding records.
- Operation of equipment such as: X-ray machines and processor, haematology analyser and anaesthetic machines
- Assist with the supervision of specific designated areas such as the Prep-room, Surgical procedures room, X-ray processing room, Sample Receipt and Storage areas
- Ensure equipment used is maintained and serviceable for use at all times, reporting faults as identified and moving equipment as required by projects
- Take part in rota system for weekend and public holiday working and essential ‘out of hours’ scoring of animals in study.
Due to the biosecurity restrictions, unfortunately our client cannot employ anyone that owns or comes into regular contact with rabbits, mice, rats, guinea pigs or ferrets.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.