Location: East Yorkshire
Ref: ALS 2174
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit an Animal Technician to perform routine animal husbandry and supervise the animal welfare and animal barrier status of a multi-species breeding facility.
This is a 1-year fixed-term contract.
Please note that due to the rural location and in the absence of suitable public transport links, having your own transport is essential.
- Animal Care qualification and a genuine interest in the care and welfare of animals
- Home Office Personal Licence is desirable
- 2 years’ experience working with laboratory animals
- An understanding of the Animals Scientific Procedures Act 1986 and Home Office guidelines relating to the production and use of animals
- Ability to motivate, develop and lead other team members
- Professional approach towards customers
- Familiarity and expertise with Excel, Word, Outlook, Cedric Database or similar software.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Daily animal husbandry duties, including feeding, watering, cage cleaning and animal observations
- Daily monitoring and reporting of the animal facility environment
- Birthing, weaning, sexing, counting and weighing of animals
- Implement basic animal breeding systems
- Receiving & despatching of goods in/out of the animal facility, using correct sterilisation procedures to maintain ‘animal barrier status
- Cleaning and maintaining animal rooms and associated areas
- Completion of all relevant departmental records, including day books, production data records and stock availability records
- Notify Area Supervisor regarding any suspected or recorded problems in relation to animal welfare or facility environment
- Provide weekend and out of hours cover as and when required.
Due to the biosecurity restrictions, unfortunately our client cannot employ anyone that owns or comes into regular contact with rabbits, mice, rats, guinea pigs or ferrets.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.