Location: Milton Keynes
Salary: £22,659 - £25,482
Ref: ALS 2185
Our Client is seeking an Animal Technician to work in their high security bio-containment animal research facility and provide all-round technical support. The post holder will provide technical assistance in a research project to identify new therapies for neuroendocrine prostate cancer.
Fixed term contract 1 year.
- Good standard of education to GCSE grade C or equivalent
- BSc or equivalent in Biomedical Sciences or related subject is desirable
- Relevant experience of working in a laboratory animal unit
- Understanding of relevant legislation such as the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986
- Ability to work unsupervised, prioritise workloads and highly organised.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To plan and perform in vivo experiments to test the efficacy of experimental drugs in pre-clinical cancer models
- To provide high quality animal husbandry including cleaning cages, pens, trays, equipment and fittings, to keep animals clean and comfortable, feeding and water animals, handling and moving animals safely, administering medicines/ substances, checking the environment (for example, temperature and humidity), monitoring the condition of animals and recognise and resolve any behavioural problems.
- Collection of data and samples
- Carry out other unregulated procedures and health checks including micro-chipping, tissue sampling, animal marking, applying animal treatments as appropriate, weighing and monitoring animal growth
- Carries out environmental monitoring, ensuring accurate records are kept.
- Understand and adhere to UK law governing the use of animals in scientific research, by ensuring a high level of animal welfare and work to improve the quality of life for laboratory animals.
Due to the biosecurity restrictions, unfortunately our client cannot employ anyone that owns or comes into regular contact with rabbits, mice, rats, guinea pigs or ferrets.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process