Ref: ALS 2215
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit an Animal Technician to work within their rodent Biological Services Units. The successful candidate will be an additional resource and essential member of the growing team, supporting the day-to-day husbandry of animals and the operational needs of a multitude of high impact research projects. Our client offers many additional benefits, including: pension scheme, membership and educational support via the IAT career pathway, travel schemes and generous annual leave entitlement.
I year fixed term contract.
- BTEC award, certificate and diploma level 3, or BSc in a relevant science, technical or research subject or relevant animal care qualification
- Experience of working in an experimental rodent facility
- Willingness to undertake training under the Animal Scientific Procedures Act and to obtain a personal licence
- Well organised with excellent administrative skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and able to adapt to change
- IAT Level 2 is desirable.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cleaning, feeding and watering of animals; cage side assessments and daily health checks
- To maintain accurate record keeping
- Assistance with husbandry and maintenance of breeding colonies, setting up breeding pairs, sexing and weaning animals, monitoring pregnancies
- To support academics in the facilities, as directed
- Undergo training to understand ASPA (Animal Scientific Procedures Act) and adhere to this framework when working in the animal units
- Maintaining the security and biosecurity of the animal units and reporting any breaches to senior staff
- Be willing to hold a Home Office Personal Licence (if required and after training)
- Participate in the rota to cover weekends, minimum service days and bank holidays as required.
- Perform bottle, cage washing and preparing clean laundry
- Assisting with site deliveries, general housekeeping, stock taking and appropriate storage of consumables and equipment.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.