Deputy Unit Manager
Salary: £35,000 - £55,000
Ref: ALS 2190
A research facility that delivers solutions to some of the world’s toughest health care issues is currently seeking a Deputy Unit Manager to oversee the daily care, maintenance and breeding of laboratory animals. The successful candidate will have a least five years’ experience working with laboratory animals and will be responsible for the supervision of all other grades of technician.
- Certificate and Membership of the Institute of Animal Technology, or equivalent experience
- Home Office Licence modules 1-4
- Experience in IVC’s is essential, and working with isolators is advantageous
- Ability to work in and maintain an ordered working environment
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervising and working with other members of staff to determine daily work routines for them and yourself
- Assisting research staff as required in surgical and experimental procedures
- Responsible for the supervision of routine aspects of a more junior staff’s work
- Working alone in the care of animals
- Deputising for the Manager when required
- Responsible for the daily care, maintenance and breeding of laboratory animals, including rats, mice and guinea pigs
- Routine observation of animals, especially for signs of departure from good health
- Record all information regarding duties performed in relevant documentation and within specific guidelines
- Safe maintenance of individually ventilated negative and positive pressure racks of cages
- Understand compliance with the Home Office regulations
- Required to join the rota for weekends and holiday work.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.