Director of CBS
Location: West London
Salary: From £66,631
Ref: ALS 2175
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit a Director of Central Biomedical Services to oversee the running of several animal research facilities in addition to developing and implementing strategic plans. The successful candidate will have an innovative approach and proven experience of delivering high-quality service to multiple stakeholders.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 16th December.
- Degree in an animal research discipline, or Fellowship in the Institute of Animal Technology (FIAT)
- Proven management experience in an animal facility and preferably an academic environment
- Proven ability to inspire, motivate and influence organisational culture change is essential
- Knowledge and experience of the technical and operational aspects of running animal facilities
- Experience in managing, training and developing staff in line with good practice, technical developments and any legislative change
- Proven ability for high level strategic planning
- Experience of finances, including budget setting and monitoring.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To oversee the smooth running of each facility by frequent active involvement with the Managers on site, and all CBS staff with a view to capitalising on, developing and sharing their skills, training and experience
- To ensure that all CBS users are aware of current legislation and that all animal-based research activities are fully complaint. To liaise with the Home Office Inspector and provide such detail as might be required
- To work with the Director of Bioservices and the Establishment License Holder to develop an integrated strategy supporting the company’s teaching and research mission
- To liaise with senior academics to create new initiatives in or involving CBS, and so to raise the standard of scientific investigation. To research and develop key innovations and techniques that could enable CBS to continue to transform the support it provides to users
- To oversee and direct complex new builds and refurbishments of CBS facilities, ensuring cost effective provision of high-quality state-of-the-art facilities meeting the current and future in vivo research and teaching strategy
- To liaise with senior representatives from industry, especially the pharmaceutical industry, to ensure that CBS provides an environment which is both suitable for collaborative projects and competitive with regard to pricing
- To prepare overarching policies for CBS including budgeting, staffing, strategic planning and discipline
- To prepare and present, with the assistance of the CBS Finance Officer, the annual budget for approval by the CBS Management and Strategy
- To encourage scientists and CBS staff to promote and integrate the principles of the 3Rs into their research and to look for opportunities within their proposed programmes to improve animal welfare and to incorporate the values of the 3Rs
- Be contactable for 24-hour “call-out” in the event of any emergency occurring in the CBS facility.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.