Experienced Animal Technician
Ref: ALS 2265
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit an Experienced Animal Technician to provide day-to-day supervision of staff in animal areas, ensuring compliance in accordance with the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.
This is a fixed-term contract for 12 months.
Full driving licence and own transport are essential due to rural location.
- Current holder of, or ability to gain a Home Office Personal Licence
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s grade A-C and ability to gain IAT qualification
- Experience working with laboratory animals
- An understanding of the Animals Scientific Procedures Act 1986 and Home Office guidelines relating to the production and use of animals
- Previous experience in a supervisory role is essential
- Ability to effectively communicate with team members and to customers
- Familiarity and expertise with Excel, Word, Outlook, Cedric Database or similar software
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage staff responsibilities and supervise the animal technicians with daily husbandry duties, observations, and cleaning procedures
- Coordinate the daily operations in a production facility ensuring animal welfare is upheld and maintained
- Maintenance of breeding colonies and accurate record keeping of breeding programmes
- Provide accurate and timely presentation of reports and information to line manager and customers
- Understand, adhere to, monitor and enforce site and personnel movement restrictions, animal barrier regulations and biosecurity procedures
- Ensure that sufficient stock levels of animals and consumables are maintained by ordering animals, consumables, and specialist equipment (including PPE) from internal and external sources as required
- Be responsible for the completion of own and colleagues training records and standard HR documentation
- To undertake all work in accordance with Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 including Home Office Codes of Practice for Breeding and Supplying Establishments
- Maintain animal welfare, animal barrier status and hygiene standards by following standard operating procedures
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.