Junior Animal Technician
Salary: £17,079 - £18,688
Ref: ALS 2228
On behalf of our client we are looking to recruit a Junior Animal Technician to perform husbandry duties to support the daily care, welfare, and environmental enrichment of laboratory animals. The successful applicant will have previous experience working with animals and will be expected to work towards their Home Office Licence.
- Level 3 Animal Care/Management qualification or equivalent
- 5 GCSE’s grades A*-C including English Language and Mathematics, or equivalent
- Evidence of personal development to maintain skills
- Husbandry experience with rodents, rabbits, zebrafish or insects is beneficial
- Excellent time management and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good IT skills
- Willingness to undertake training in accordance with Home Office requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily animal husbandry duties, including provision of food and water, changing cages, and maintaining high levels of hygiene for each animal
- Carrying out regular observations and health checks
- After appropriate Home Office training, assist with and perform regulated procedures
- Maintain colonies of mammals and fish to required standards
- Keeping accurate records and inputting data onto computer systems
- Assist team members with the set-up, provision, operation and repair of a range of standard tools and equipment including autoclaves, centrifuges, isolators, individually ventilated cages and other scientific equipment
- Gather and collate data and information including monitoring of health and welfare of animals under your care for others to use for evaluation and decision making
- Working weekends and bank holidays on a rota basis.
Due to the biosecurity restrictions, unfortunately our client cannot employ anyone that owns or comes into regular contact with rabbits, mice, rats, guinea pigs or ferrets.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.