Licensed Animal Technician
Ref: ALS 2216
Our client, a world class research University, are looking to recruit Licensed Animal Technicians to work within their rodent Biological Services Units. The client are recruiting for additional resources and the successful candidates will be supporting the day-to-day husbandry of animals and the operational needs of a multitude of research projects.
The client has excellent training facilities and are able to provide a relocation package as well as other benefits to assist suitable candidates in continuing their career within their esteemed institution.
- National Qualification (NVQ level 4, BTEC Professional award, Certificate and diploma level 4, HNC), in a relevant science, technical, or research subject
- Knowledge of the Animal Scientific Procedures Act and associated Home Office legislation
- Home Office Personal License is desirable, although candidates with experience of regulated procedures performed under delegation will be considered
- Excellent knowledge and experience of rodent husbandry and breeding
- Experience of managing transgenic mice is desirable
- Recent experience in a Biological Services Unit
- Competent IT skills
- Well organised, excellent administrative skills with a flexible approach to work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Husbandry and animal care of rodents in the Biological Service Units, ensuring the highest levels of animal welfare and culture of care at all times
- Actively use personal license under Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act (ASPA) 1986 including breeding of transgenic mice and a wide range of procedures
- Meticulous record keeping, such as animal and laboratory records both on paper and database systems and participate in internal audit processes to check adherence to record-keeping systems
- Maintenance of breeding colonies and accurate record keeping of rodent breeding programmes
- Be involved in surgery support and post-operative care of rodents
- Maintain and purchase consumables and equipment
- Adhere with H&S regulations and assist in H&S management under direction of the Lab Manager(s)
- Participate in the out of hour’s BSU rota and be part of the on-call rota for emergencies
- Support the research of staff, PhD and project students and others working with them.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.