Principal Animal Technician
Location: South London
Salary: £25,000 - £32,000
Ref: ALS 2192
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit a Principal Animal Technician to provide research support and maintenance for all animal-based research projects undertaken at the facility. The post holder will be responsible for supervision of staff and will act as a point of contact for external research customers and organisations.
This is a temp to perm contract.
- Qualification in animal technology to MIAT/level 4, or equivalent experience
- Home Office Licence modules 1-4
- Significant experience of working in a biological research unit
- Experience of conducting complex technical procedures and techniques, including surgical skills
- Demonstrated personnel management and supervision skills
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assume day to day direct supervision of all current animal work, and manage on a day to day basis the operation of specific areas, or a range of specialist technical services within the facility
- Provide ‘hands on’ training service and skills assessment for a wide range of techniques to other Personal Licence holders
- Manage/conduct entire research programmes for internal and external researchers not licenced for animal procedures, or who are ‘remote’ from the facility
- Supervision and training of more junior staff including assisting with personal reviews
- Perform a wide range of authorised regulated procedures as requested, and maintain accurate records
- Responsibility for routine husbandry and associated tasks to include the specialised housing conditions such as: barrier maintained unit, farm animal units, ACDP Category 3 biocontainment facilities, transgenic breeding, stock management
- Liaise with service suppliers to ensure the facility is maintained in the best possible condition
- As required by Management, hold the position of Named Animal Care and Welfare Officer (NACWO)
- Undertake any other duties and training as may be required.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.