Salary: £20,000 - £23,000
Ref: ALS 2162
Our client, a non-profit British genomics and genetics research institute, are looking to recruit a Research Assistant to join their team and participate within their Molecular Biology studies.
This role will be offered on a temporary contract starting immediately and will last for 3 months in the initial instance although there may be potential for this to be extended at this point.
- BSc in Biological Science
- Significant graduate experience in a laboratory environment, preferably in biological sciences
- Understanding of the use of informatics and databases and their role in supporting scientific research
- Familiar with standard computer software programs for molecular biology applications
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performing a range of Molecular Biology based techniques including qPCR, plasmid DNA extraction, cloning and tissue culture
- Molecular biology work in collaboration with research groups to determine gene expression, protein expression or other assays as required
- Write and maintain both manual and computer records of all procedures undertaken such that work can subsequently be followed up, reported or interrogated in order to identify errors/faults for trouble shooting.
- Identify and implement improvements in protocols and procedures needed to optimise strategies within the group activities, including addition of extra quality control steps
- Maintain laboratory equipment, both simple cleaning and low maintenance, reporting any faults to the manager so they may be rectified quickly and ensure that the laboratory is tidy, safe and well-stocked with consumables.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.