Senior Animal Technician
Salary: £27,527 - £30,000
Ref: ALS 2149
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit a Senior Animal Technician to assist in research into understanding infectious diseases and manufacturing healthcare products including vaccines. The successful candidate will be required to provide specialist technical and procedural expertise and maintain high standards of animal welfare within a multi-species environment.
Fixed term contract initially.
- Hold a Home Office Personal Licence
- IAT membership, including HND in Animal Technology
- Significant experience working with a wide range of laboratory animals i.e. rodents, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs and NHP
- Experience performing a range of regulated procedures
- Theoretical and practical training in an in vivo setting
- Ability to perform basic in vitro skills to assist project teams
- The ability to work on own initiative and organise own workload with minimal supervision working to tight and changing timescales.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the team performing routine animal husbandry, to maintain the highest standards of care and welfare
- Competently work in high containment isolators housing infected study animals
- Conduct specialist complex experimental procedures at containment level 2, 3 and 4 (e.g. catheter flushing, intrathecal instillation, suturing) under Home Office Licence
- Perform a wide range of complex procedural techniques on a wide range of animals
- Record all information regarding duties performed in relevant documentation and within specific guidelines
- Assist in surgical procedures such as implantation of telemetric devices, taking responsibility for maintenance of the anaesthetised animal undergoing surgery
- Perform post mortem examination and removal of specified tissue from a wide range of species
- Train junior staff
- Collate and interpret data from studies and present in an appropriate format for presentation/discussion with Project Team Leaders and Study Director
- Take part in rota system for weekend and public holiday working and essential ‘out of hours’ scoring of animals in study.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.