Senior Animal Technician
Location: East Yorkshire
Ref: ALS 2151
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit a Senior Animal Technician to maintain animal welfare, animal barrier status and hygiene standards for the facility.
- Home Office Personal Licence is desirable
- Experience of working in a laboratory animal environment
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s grade A‐C or equivalent qualification and ability to gain IAT qualification
- An understanding of the Animals Scientific Procedures Act 1986 and Home Office guidelines relating to the production and use of animals in a breeding and supplying establishment or research environment
- Must have experience in routine manual work that requires attention to detail
- Competent IT skills, with experience in Excel, Word, Outlook, and Cedric Database or other similar software.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily animal husbandry duties, including feeding, watering, cage cleaning and animal observations
- The production, birthing, weaning, sexing, counting and weighing of animals
- Daily monitoring and reporting of the animal facility environment
- Notify Area Supervisor regarding any suspected or recorded problems in relation to animal welfare or facility environment
- The ability to implement basic animal breeding systems and an understanding of the importance of replacement breeding stock selection criteria
- Cleaning and maintaining animal rooms and associated areas, and associated equipment in accordance with SOP’s
- Receiving & despatching of goods in/out of animal facility, using correct sterilisation procedures to maintain animal barrier status
- Completion of all relevant departmental records, including day books, production data reports and stock availability records
- Understand and adhere to site and personnel movement restrictions, animal barrier regulations and biosecurity procedures
- Provide weekend and out of hours cover as and when required.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.