Senior Mouse Colony Manager
Salary: £32,236 - £39,609
Ref: ALS 2247
Our client is looking to recruit a Senior Mouse Colony Manager to oversee transgenic mice breeding programmes and the maintenance of laboratory animals. The successful candidate will be responsible for the daily organisation of the workload of technicians and will work closely with licensees to ensure good husbandry and animal welfare.
The closing date for applications is Thursday 23rd May.
- IAT membership or equivalent
- A current Home Office Personal Licence and extensive knowledge of procedures is essential
- Previous experience of transgenic breeding and the maintenance and tracking of breeding colonies
- Knowledge of the latest developments in biosecurity, transgenic breeding and general animal welfare
- Ability to deliver lectures and workshops relating to Home Office modules and competency training
- Proven ability to train others to perform basic procedures
- Supervisory or management experience is desirable
Duties and Responsibilities
- Organise and manage the staff within the animal facility, including allocating duties, organisation of staff rotas, and staff induction and development
- Oversee transgenic mouse breeding programmes and in-house breeding in discussion with project licence holders
- Conduct regulated experimental procedures requiring compliance with the Home Office Animal (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986
- Be responsible for the management of breeding programmes and protocols for research groups in Central London, regularly liaising with the groups regarding requirements
- Delivery lectures and practicals relating to staff and user competency training, and record staff training on the departmental software system
- Coordinate transportation and support imports and exports of laboratory animals relating to colonies managed
- Report to unit management on Health and Safety within the facility
- When necessary, cover the absence of management
- Weekend working and working outside of normal hours may be required to meet service demands, as well as occasional work at the different sites covered by Biological Services.
To apply for this role, please follow the link below and click on ‘Apply Now’:
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.