Location: Hertfordshire Salary: £15,310 Ref: ALS 2280Apply Here
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit an Animal Technician to provide technical support for research on a part-time basis. The post holder will be required to assist in all matters relating to animal welfare, provide support to research students and ensure responsibilities are maintained with regard to the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.
This is a part-time role of 25 hours over 5 days.
Interviews will be held on 16th/17th September.
- IAT Level 3 qualification, degree in Animal Science, or equivalent
- Proven experience as an Animal Technician
- Home Office Personal Licence is desirable, but candidates will be required to undertake training to apply
- Ability to assist in licensed procedures and demonstrate various techniques to students and staff
- Practical experience of working in a teaching environment is advantageous
- Flexible, adaptable and reliable.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in all matters relating to animal husbandry, maintaining the animals and facilities to the standards required by the Home Office
- Ensure the accurate recording of environmental conditions, animal use and welfare records
- Carry out schedule 1 procedures when required
- Provide assistance and supervision to project students to enable them to carry out their work and comply with Home Office Regulations
- Demonstrate and provide training in the use of equipment and specialist laboratory skills to staff and students
- Assist in the training and assessment of competence of technical staff, students, and researchers
- Have a robust understanding and be able to advise others on the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 and Home Office Regulations
- Assisting, when available, with consultancy work and research
- Carry out husbandry and welfare duties at weekends and bank holidays on a rota basis. The post holder will be required to be ‘on call’ for any emergency within the unit.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.