LOCATION: Durham SALARY: £17,736 pro rata REF: ALS 2523Apply Here
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit a part-time Junior Animal Technician to perform husbandry duties to support the daily care, welfare, and environmental enrichment of laboratory animals. The successful applicant will have previous experience working with animals.
This is a fixed-term contract for 6 months, working 17.5 hours a week.
- Level 3 Animal Care/Management qualification or equivalent.
- 5 GCSE’s grades A*-C including English Language and Mathematics, or equivalent.
- Evidence of personal development to maintain skills.
- Husbandry experience with rodents, rabbits, zebrafish, or insects is beneficial.
- Excellent time management and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good IT skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Daily animal husbandry duties, including provision of food and water, changing cages, and maintaining high levels of hygiene for each animal.
- Carrying out regular observations and health checks.
- Maintain colonies of mammals and fish to required standards.
- Keeping accurate records and inputting data onto computer systems.
- Assist team members with the set-up, provision, operation, and repair of a range of standard tools and equipment including autoclaves, centrifuges, isolators, individually ventilated cages, and other scientific equipment.
- Gather and collate data and information including monitoring of health and welfare of animals under your care for others to use for evaluation and decision making.
- Working weekends and bank holidays on a rota basis.
Due to the biosecurity restrictions, unfortunately our client cannot employ anyone that owns or comes into regular contact with rabbits, mice, rats, guinea pigs or ferrets.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.