Location: Nottingham Salary: £23,754 – £28,331 Ref: ALS 2340Apply Here
On behalf of our client, we are looking to recruit a Senior Animal Technician to oversee the day to day organisation of experimental animal holding areas within a biological services facility. The successful candidate will be required to supervise, mentor, and train technical staff and utilise their expertise in animal technology to conduct experimental procedures.
- IAT Level 3 Diploma in Laboratory Animal Science, or equivalent qualifications and experience
- Hold Home Office Licence modules 1-3 are essential, module 4 is desirable
- Expertise in the management, husbandry, breeding and experimental use of laboratory rodents in a research environment
- Knowledge of monitoring animal research studies and able to proactively address any welfare concerns with senior research colleagues
- Ability to conduct a wide range of regulated procedures to a high standard
- Supervisory experience is essential
- Financial awareness to meet objectives of a cost recovery business unit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise a team of technical staff, allocating work and ensuring that work is carried out and performed to the required quality standards
- Mentoring, training, development and support of technical staff, including apprentices
- Competently conduct experimental and surgical procedures as required
- Breeding of both inbred and outbred animals, including transgenic lines
- Operate and maintain flexible film isolators for quarantine or immune-compromised animals, and maintain IVC units to ensure a high standard of biocontainment
- Be familiar with the project licence authority
- Deputise for the NACWO as required
- In conjunction with the Named Veterinary Surgeon (NVS) promote implementation of refinements in animal care, husbandry, and use
- Maintain accurate record keeping in electronic and traditional formats as required under ASPA
- Contribute to the rota for weekend and bank holiday cover.
Due to the biosecurity restrictions, unfortunately our client cannot employ anyone that owns or comes into regular contact with rabbits, mice, rats, guinea pigs or ferrets.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process.